Tour 1 for accompanying persons
START: Monday May 15th at 14.00, reception of Mercure Hotel
Duration: 2.5 h (Four Denominations District) + 2 h (University of Wroclaw Museum)
Walking tour: Wroclaw – city of four cultures
Four Denominations District (also called: Four Temples Quarter or District of Mutual Respect) is located in the center of Wroclaw. Its unique character derives from historical sacral architecture. In 300 m, close to each other four temples are located: Orthodox church of Nativity of Theotoks, church of St. Anthony of Padua (Roman Catholic), The White Stork Synagogue and an Evangelical Church of Divine Providence. From 2005 the District is on the list of national heritage as a historical monument. The symbol of the district is a sculpture - The Cristal Planet - created by Ewa Rossano, presenting a girl with a dress inspired by the Globe, standing for a unity of the world despite its cultural and religious differences.
The University of Wrocław Museum located in the historical main building of the university consists of: Leopoldine Hall (splendorous baroque ceremonial hall still used nowadays), Oratorium Marianum (Music Hall), Mathematical Tower with magnificent view over the city and exhibition about beginnings of Institute of Physics in Wroclaw and permanent exposition of historical scientific instruments and items related to the history of the university and its professors. The University of Wroclaw was founded in 1702 by Austrian Emperor Leopold VI Habsburg and is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in Central Europe with around 30 000 students.
Tour 2 for all
START: May 17th at 15.30, at entrance of WRUST Congress Centre, building D-20
Duration: 2.5 h
Walking tour: Old Town Wroclaw
Walking guided tour around the Old Town Wroclaw including: Old Market Square, The University of Wroclaw, Tumski Bridge, Ostrów Tumski and Cathedral Island.
Wroclaw Market Square originates from the XIII century and it is one of the largest ones in Europe with area of 3.8 ha. In its center a City Hall with historic clock from XIV century is located and surrounded by over 60 newly renovated gothic tenements. In the Market Square one might also find: a statue of Aleksander Fredro (Polish poet and dramatist), modern glass fountain, copy of historic pillory from the year 1492 and Solny Square with flower market.
Ostrów Tumski is the oldest part of Wroclaw. In the X century a first settlement, from which the city originated, had been raised by Piast dynasty. Nowadays is a historical monument of sacral architecture with gothic Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and late roman Church of St. Giles – the oldest fully preserved building in the city originating from XIII century.